Tuesday, 28 September 2010

Shopped for Shopping on Call?

Given that the fines for motoring offences are considerably more severe than those meted for kicking the shit out of someone (generally unpunished, if the victim is me for example), it is clear that society regards illegal parking as really very serious indeed.

There are few things that give me more rage and hate for the state than a parking ticket because I take care to obey the rules, and the couple of times I've been caught in the past few years, has been because of a misunderstanding of which bay was residents' and which was pay & display (whilst training, as it happened with the TA) and an unavoidable delay (I'd stopped to help a cyclist who'd been knocked off). Neither excuse washed and I was made to pay the fines anyway. Often the rules are unclear, and the parking attendents act as if they're on comission, though I understand this is no longer the case.

Obviously though certain, public servants are granted exemption, when in execution of their duties. Clearly the police, or ambulance service responding to a call can reasonably ignore many of the rules of the road including the only crime the police take seriously, speed; and they can abandon a vehicle more or less where they like, if the circumstances demand it. So when I saw this "ambulance" (in truth a vehicle which is designed to meet targets rather than save lives) parked on the double yellow lines outside the front door of our local Sainsbury's, I thought that someone had suffered a turn at the fish-counter in reaction to the price of Halibut, and fully expected to see a paramedic giving CPR, or at least comforting someone next to the frozen peas.

I saw no such thing.

Do we "little people" who don't get exemptions from parking tickets when we stop to scrape a cyclist off the pavement allow paramedics or the police to leave their cars wherever they like whilst they go shopping? You could argue that "If a call comes in" she could drop everything and make a quick get away. But if speed is THAT important, should she be picking up her groceries when she's on call?

The other question would be whether bringing this to the attention of the authorities in the local ambulance service would mark me out as an astonishingly petty twat. Because I hate the police, I'd always shop a cop for speeding if I see one, and the rage I feel when I get a parking ticket means I'm erring on the side of a snot-o-gram e-mail with these attatchments (If I can be bothered).

But I'm seeking the advice of the blogospehere first...



16 comments:

BenefitScroungingScum said...

I didn't have you down as 'irate from Tunbridge Wells' ;) BG

Westerlyman said...

Paramedics are not police or parking gestapo. Give them a break they do a pretty unpleasant job. Not all people working for the man are to be despised even if they get away with breaking the odd rule that gets the rest of us ripped off by the state.

marty21 said...

Don't be a snitch on this one.

JimmyGiro said...

They'll invent a law saying: "it's illegal to photograph a government official", or some such.

The gain is little; whereas the risk maybe too high.

Anonymous said...

Abusing a privilege with the job.

Jackart said...

It seems the Blogosphere thinks so far that it shouldn't shop 'em.

And I agree. But I still don't see why ANYONE should get away with the only crime everyone else will NEVER get away with?

banned said...

The side road outside my main city Polce station has residents parking bays that are frequently occupied by the stations paddy waggons. I have examined their windscreens and found no 'resident parking permits'; I have suggested to my local newspaper that they publish photographs of this, but they never do.

startledcod said...

Initial reaction is nail all the bastards but in this case there is one important mitigating circumstance - she isn't wearing a ridiculous, I'm important and bossy, health and safety obsessed f**king hi-vis vest. That said the other reason is that parking 'enforcement' should all be scaled back to vehicles that are causing a real obstruction or taking the piss.

So, thumbs up in this case, she lives.

Anonymous said...

Let it go, Jackart.

Jen

cuffleyburgers said...

Softies.

Nail 'er up.

Jackart said...

Really I think Startledcod has nailed it. She's not making or enforcing the rules, she's just enjoying a percieved perk of the job.

It's the rules which need to change.

Henry Crun said...

Shop the paramedic.

They are not supposed to use ambulances/response vehicles for personal use. This is a clear abuse of privelege.

Peter S. said...

Shop the fucker.

13eastie said...

Shop this self-righteous public-sector twat.

What the hell reason does she have for thinking that using the tax-payer's stripy car to do her shopping makes her above the law?

The yellow line is quite possibly there to enable access for emergency services IN AN EMERGENCY e.g. fire-engines.

This woman's shopping is so much more important than other people's that she should endanger their lives?

Bollocks.

Weekend Yachtsman said...

Dob her in.

She's just doing it because she can, to show that (a) she's important and (b) the rest of us are worms who can shut up and carry on paying for her.

Needs taken down a peg or nine.

shop 'er said...

Send the photos to her boss and let him/her decide.

There was an error in this gadget