Thursday, 25 November 2010

Students "Riot"

I have to laugh regarding these students protesting. Over in France they actually give a shit. “Quelle Horreur, les Students ne work pas. Oui must remove ze government, to ze barricades in solidarity”. Over here its “the students aren’t working –who the fuck notices, do they ever actually work?” I’ve covered this before, so it’s nothing new. But quite frankly the lack of 19 year olds in Che tops clutching their genitalia after being struck with Baton rounds is disappointing. I’m no supporter of a Police state, but gosh darn it, a student being knocked off his feet with a water canon is 100 times better than re-runs of The Simpsons.

Has anybody ever notices this shit only happens when Conservatives try to restore fiscal sanity. Where were these fuckers smashing police vans when Zanu Labour was announcing 48 day detention without trial, or raising taxes. These whiners are only available when somebody is asking them to pay something towards their own future. £9k a year works out at £173.07 a week – show me where you can pick up a private tutor for that.

As always Travelgall has a solution. Get rid of 50% of all university courses. Then there will be enough money for everybody still at university, and the students won’t have £50k worth of debt for a piece of paper. Goodbye “Media Studies”, farewell “Women’s Studies”, so long anything that ends in “ology” that doesn’t involve Test Tubes.



3 comments:

Richard T said...

I did see one wee treasure prating on the TV news about how he was being oppressed by student fees. The pompous self pity in one so young was beyond magnificent. It made my cynical old heart yearn for the Met's cossacks to sweep by and give him a coshing with their batons.

thoughtfulape said...

We don't need to get rid of media studies degrees. We should simply quit shoveling public money in the direction of media studies departments or subsidize people who wish to study it.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with the last sentiment - and I say that as a student of one of those "ology" subjects, theology and religious studies. But I would say that we need to be careful about what we scrap and what we support. I would argue that religious studies, in terms of understanding sociology and other cultures, is more important in the real world than pure maths, for example. I consciously chose this subject despite having got very good marks in Chemistry and Maths A-levels because of that, and I think it's a subject which, when taught well, deserves more credit than it is generally given (and I think it does provide qualification for jobs like diplomacy, public advisors, and so on).

My thought really is that we should judge each course at each university on its own merit, rather than coming to conclusions based on prejudices about what's useful and what's not.

But like I said, I completely agree with the idea of sorting the chaff from the wheat, and with the rest of what you've said here.

There was an error in this gadget